Sunday, July 22, 2007

Awesome Weekend in Tulsa!

I just returned from a recent convention in Tulsa for Usborne Books. What a great experience. I was a little skeptical about going. I only began selling these great books so I could get a discount and to get out of the house some. I never thought that in one weekend I could develop such a passion for these books and this wonderful company. I was in awe at how much I learned about the business world, as well as myself on a personal level. I was so pumped to have finally found something that I can be passionate about doing! I found that I left that conference walking a little taller, thinking more positive, and feeling better about myself than I have in a long time. What a life changing experience! Following are some of the goals I made for myself. Some are rather ambitious and others are very small, but they are mine.

1. To not be afraid to stand in front of people and talk about my passion.
(my baby step was to blog about it first- believe it or not this was difficult for me)

2. To expose as many children to Usborne Books as possible.
(these books are filled with so many wonderful features)

3. To set aside 30 minutes every day to read to my son.
(regardless of laundry, dishes, fatigue, friends, phonecalls, etc.)

4. To recruit someone to do this with me and take them to convention next year.
(I want to share this wonderful feeling)

5. To make 5 business phone calls a week.
(I get really nervous talking to new people on the phone and try to avoid these situations).

So, there they are. They may not mean much to anyone else, but they are important to me and I just jumped over a small hurdle finding the courage to share my goals with others for fear of failing and not being perfect. Whew!

6 comments:

michelle said...

I'm so proud of you! It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. It is hard to write down goals and share them with others. You are off to a great start!

Shelley said...

First of all, I love Tulsa, it's a great city. Second, Good for you! I absolutely love the 2 books (actually, one was a kit) that I got from you. You will do a great job. Just having the passion will help you reach your goals! Here's my advice for getting over your fears, Just do it. No one judges you, no one is going to care if you stumble over your words, don't worry about what people "think" of you. Just know that you have a Great product that you are passionate about, and you love telling people about. The rest will fall in place. People like to see the "real" side of someone, so don't worry about being perfect!

Alana said...

Hey Becky!

First, I love Usborne Books. I thoroughly enjoy all of the ones that we have!

Second, I share your struggle with the "sale", though. I teach Kindermusik and it is an awesome program, I believe in the benefits and see them every time I teach a class. But I still struggle with "selling" it to people. Thankfully, KM pretty much sells itself and I haven't had to put myself out there too much. For me, it is a personality thing, but I'm getting better. Kudos to you for venturing out of your comfort zone!

michelle said...

Where is the monkey story w/ photo????

michelle said...

HELLO? HELLO? Are you there?
I miss your blog stories and sweet pics!

Shelley said...

hellllooooo out there. . .we miss you!